Thursday, March 25, 2010

Assignment #5- Final Thoughts


I found the book "Into the Wild", by Jon Krakauer, both exciting and interesting. This book truly showed the beauties of nature and the dangers of it also. This book is completely worth reading. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys nature. I think this book tells us that the nature is a beautiful place but it can sometime take our lives. I think it also shows that the human being also only has a certain amount of strength, and that a human alone can not take on the power of the nature for months. I thought "Into the Wild" was a great book because it had everything aspect of a book in which I find interesting. It had action, nature, tension, and drama. All four of these things make up an excellent book to me. I also enjoyed some of the parts in the book where they explained the small amount of stuff in which Chris brought. A quote from this book which explains this is, "But he was sufficiently skilled to last for sixteen weeks on little more than his wits and ten pounds of rice." (page 182, paragraph 2)

I think of Chris as a hero who showed the human race that going into the wilderness and living for months was possible. Although he may have died, no one would ever expect the amount of time which he spent in the wilderness for was possible. He truly showed the power of a single human being. I do not agree with the person who wrote this note about Chris in chapter 8, "And while I feel for his parents, I have no sympathy for him." (page 72, paragraph 2) This person who wrote this thought that Chris was very idiotic and didn't know what he was getting himself into by going on this adventure. In the article named "The Cult of Chris McCandles" someone writes this positive note on Chris, "he found the serenity of the spirit that most die without ... pray for Chris's critics ... There is something about Alaska that changes you." I agree with this note because I feel the same way about Chris and the adventure which he went on. That is why I feel that Chris is a hero for going into the wilderness on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment